VMware Cloud Community
AvdVyver01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NIC team with Etherchannnel issue

Hi,

I am having difficulty implementing what should be an easy task.

I have a single ESXi 6.5U1 host with 2 NICs teamed in a single vSwitch. The load balancing is set to “route based on IP hash”. As part of my troubleshooting I have also disabled beacon probing (Net.MaxBeaconsAtOnce=0).

The NIC team connects to a single Cisco 2960 switch. Both interfaces are up and the host is reachable.

To avoid Mac flapping on the switch (due to the NIC teaming), I am trying to configure an Ether channel on the switch. My config below (both switch ports are configured identically):

interface GigabitEthernet0/6

switchport trunk native vlan 1000

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 2 mode on

end

interface Port-channel2

switchport trunk native vlan 1000

switchport mode trunk

end

EtherChannel Load-Balancing Configuration:

src-dst-ip

The post channel comes up on the switch but the ESXi host is not reachable. As soon as I shut one of the ports, the comms is restored. I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong – any ideas?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
flchristoph
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you set the load balancing to "route based on IP hash" on both the vSwitch and the management VMKernel port group?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
flchristoph
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you set the load balancing to "route based on IP hash" on both the vSwitch and the management VMKernel port group?

AvdVyver01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Literally just saw your reply. Yes, that was the issue - the load balance algorithm did not propagate to the management network. Took me ages to figure that out lol. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
hmchapman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You sir are a genius Smiley Happy

I have been beating my head against the wall over the same problem as the original poster.

Regards,

Murray

0 Kudos