VMware Cloud Community
sarethan
Contributor
Contributor

NIC stopped working with ESXi 5

I had ESXi 5.0 installed on an HP p6120f. Everything seemed to work correctly. I rebooted the Host system and i lost network connectivity. I lost link lights and everything. I replaced the cat5 cable..same result. I pluged the host directly into the modem....same result. I formated host to win7.....network card, lights and cabel work. I reinstall ESXi 5 and agin no link lights. Now the onboard NIC is shown in the host system but as disconnected. I worked befor and now does not, seems to be a reformate doesn't solve and the hardware checks as good with diffrent OS. Guys im lost on this one. Is it a driver issue that i need to edit or change?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert

do the below steps to see the corresponding driver is loaded in to the VMkernel

1,   esxcfg-module -l  | grep <module name> or simply esxcfg-module -l

you can see from the output, if the driver module is loaded or not

2, esxcfg-module -q

Query the system for the modules to load at boot. this will show the corresponding driver is configured to load during the boot of VMkernel

3, vmkload_mod --showinfo <module name> this will give more details of the driver module

4, once you find the driver module is not loaded, you  can manually load to the kernel

esxcfg-module -e <module name>

Enable the given module, indicating that it should load at boot time.

Check above these

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
sarethan
Contributor
Contributor

Will do give me a few to respond

0 Kudos
kubernetes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi sarethan,

I guess that HP Pavilion is not on vmware HCL.

Big chance that you will not able to run NIC under ESXi.

Please keep in mind that ESXi has much less supported nic drivers than MS Windows.

I hope that this link can help you:

http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2011

Regards,

KB

0 Kudos
sarethan
Contributor
Contributor

I would understand this if it had not worked for a week straight then not after a reboot. Seems like it would or wouldn't to me

0 Kudos
sarethan
Contributor
Contributor

getting alot of modules, -l seems to cut off the view to just the end of the list. I cant remeber the command for a unix modifed view. -w? lol can you remind me so i can start getting details on the moduals and narrow down the NIC driver?

0 Kudos
sarethan
Contributor
Contributor

Well, fixed it. Not sure why but pluggin the cat5 into the Internet port (wan) of the router then back into the client port (lan 1) fixed it. Odd but it works now.

0 Kudos