nightwich
Contributor
Contributor

NIC problem

Hello All

I have a strange issue.

Hardware model -> Prolient dl380 g4

ESXi -> 4.0.0, 208167

The server stop responding in the network with pink screens.

After some trobleshooting, disconnect one of the cables of vmnic0 the server stay stable.

To solve this issue we did the following:

- new patch

- move the vmnic from vlan

- reinstall the esxi server ( after reinstall and when I connect the vmnic 0 the management console stop responding, after disable the vmnic 0 the server respond correctly )

- After that we did the upgrade of the firmware in the NICs

- The problem persists

Any one have any idea what this could be ?.

NIC hardware problem, both NICs are on-board and are as UP. ?

Thanks in avdvance.

Regards

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Check first if this hardware are listed in Compatibility matriz - http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?hl=pt-BR&sourceid=gd&rlz=1Q1GGLD_pt-BRBR411...

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Usually the PSOD points to a hardware defect. Although the DL360/DL380 G4 models are not supported with ESXi 4.0, I use them in my test lab without any issues. I'd recommend you start troubleshooting by running a complete hardware check using the utilities on the SmartStart CD.

André

PS: Discussion moved from VMware Server 2 General Issues to VMware ESXi™ 4

nightwich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

I know the hardware is not supported by the compatibility matrix.

This is not a fresh install. The server has been running by years.

After this start to happen, my first clue has a rong configuration in the Switch, but both NICs have similar configurations.

Segond guest is that problem will be solved after reinstalling esxi, and them put back the VM's.

But after the reinstalation and the network configuration the server stop responding ( without any VM's )

If at the management console I disable vmnic0 the server responde correctly I can run and put back the VM's without any issue.

When I connect the vmnic0 ( in the management console or in the VSphere client, the server stop to responde in the network.

My only guess is a hardware failure in the vmnic0. Has annyone have a similar problem ?

Regards.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

why not boot up the server with a linux live cd and see if the NIC is working fine?

0 Kudos
nightwich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

boot with a live CD is a good option.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

do let us know your out come .. good luck ..

0 Kudos
nightwich
Contributor
Contributor

My server is in "production" for the moment I cannot do this test.

I will update this post with more information when I can do some more tests

Regards

0 Kudos
nightwich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

Thanks by all reply's

I switch the board, and the problem was solved Smiley Happy ..

Best Regards

0 Kudos