VMware Cloud Community
sunny101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NIC Teaming

I am trying to put together a standard for NIC teaming on DL380 G8 server. I have 10 NIC adopters on each server and I am using 2 for Management, 2 for vMotion and 6 for guest traffic. Is it a best practice to create NIC team of 6 ports for guest traffic? If so, does it help in gaining additional bandwidth? Please help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The best practice depends upon your physical network capabilities (e.g. VLAN support) and your requirements. Your current configuration should work fine, and the VMs should be distributed on the 6 VM Network NICs (you can check this using e.g. esxtop from the command line).

Depending on the physical network, you may - unless you already do so - consider to setup Multi-NIC-vMotion which will utilize both NICs and cut migration times into half.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The best practice depends upon your physical network capabilities (e.g. VLAN support) and your requirements. Your current configuration should work fine, and the VMs should be distributed on the 6 VM Network NICs (you can check this using e.g. esxtop from the command line).

Depending on the physical network, you may - unless you already do so - consider to setup Multi-NIC-vMotion which will utilize both NICs and cut migration times into half.

André

0 Kudos