VMware Cloud Community
azkerm
Contributor
Contributor

NIC Teaming with ESXi 5.x

Hi There,

I have recently bought a network interface card to an HP DL180 G6 server. Main objective is to create NIC teaming (aka LAG) between the server and network so that users can benefit and at the same time, I can schedule backups with a higher bandwidth. Howsoever, I have seen few videos and guides over vmware community on creating LAGs.

What I came across was, in order use the LACP, I should create a VDS (virtual distributed switch) while I have created a VSS (virtual standard switch). VSS will not support dynamic mode (believe its the LACP) while it only support Static. I have about 50+ clients accessing the VMs back and forth and is it worth using the VSS or better moving it back through a VDS?

Also, I was quite concerned on creating a VDS since the ESXi is on a production environment and in any event of a mess-up, I don't have any backup plans to roll back. So, just wanted to check whether creating a VDS on a production environment will cause any issues? given that the NIC is not used currently by any of the VMs.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

vDS is an enterprise plus feature so you'll need to ensure that you are licensed to sue them.

If you are creating this with unused NICs them there is no issue with comparability with your existing networks and they are full of features. Highly recommended to use them if you are licensed to do so, in fact some companies purchase enterprise plus purely for the vDS!

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
azkerm
Contributor
Contributor

Mine is enterprise licensed. And creating a vDS will not make any effect or changes to the existing VMs running? right?

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

If you are creating a new vDS on unused NICs and not migrating any used adapters or VMs to the new vDS then there is no impact to running VMs.

I hope this helps.

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos