VMware Cloud Community
A25Simon
Contributor
Contributor

NIC Card type in W2k8 GOS

My Intel network card driver shows up as really old. (Driver date - 2008)

Is this ok? Vmware tools are installed and running fine on VM.

Other Details

---------------------

ESXi 4.1

VM - W2k8R2

VNIC adapter type - E1000

NIC Card in w2k8 GOS - Intel Pro 1000/MT

------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
7 Replies
A25Simon
Contributor
Contributor

I basically need to know if i can update the Intel® pro/1000 mt network connection to the latest driver update...

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

You might want to consider changing your adaptor type to vmxnet3, which has many improvements over the e1000. See link for more info: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100180...

Thanks

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
A25Simon
Contributor
Contributor

Yes that can be done.

But is there not an update provided to the E1000 driver by VMware?

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander

It will be part of the latest vmtools package, but unless there is a good reason for you not to I would be running vmxnet3 on a win2k8 server.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
A25Simon
Contributor
Contributor

The VMware tools package had just been upgraded and is version 8.3.12 with build - 493255 for ESXi 4.1 Build - 502767

The tools upgrade did not update the E1000 driver and i am still on the old driver which is more than 2 years old...

0 Kudos
krishna_v78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have downloaded Intel Network connections from Intel website and installed on VMs which has E1000 as they showed vulnerability in our security scan report. No issues found after updating E1000 drivers.

0 Kudos
A25Simon
Contributor
Contributor

I have two servers - IBM HX5 Blade and another IBM System X server - Both hosting ESXi 4.1

Is the drivers presented to the Windows Guest OS independent of the server hardware ?

0 Kudos