VMware Cloud Community
shupike
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NFS datastore - succesfully created images but impossible to get them from Windows 10

Hello! Faced with a problem using NFS datastore - I have NAS with some shared folders, for example, 'vm'. So I connected this folder as datastore to my ESXi host. And I run backup tasks using some free software - as a result there are backup images on this shared folder, it's OK. But If I try to mount folder 'vm' as a network drive in Windows 10 I can only see these images but can't copy/remove/delete any of them. Looks like is a problem with permissions: all the images has been created from ESXi root - how to get them from Windows 10 (from network drive)?

Upd: There is only way to get such images - to use WinSCP. But it's not a good decision...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @shupike,

So what permissions do you have set from your NAS side? Issue definetely is not ACL related as you can see the files from the Windows server.

0 Kudos
shupike
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it's very strange - I have a Windows domain and all the ACL based on this domain (including this shared folder). The only difference is - it also NFS datastore. So why can't I get any file from this folder?

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Which protocol are you using on the NAS storage? Is it also CIFS capable or only NFS?

If it is only NFS you will need to configure NFS Client in Windows to be able to mount it and again, which permissions do you have on your NAS storage?

0 Kudos
shupike
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure... Model is QNAP TS-412 - looks like NFS only. It's a member of Windows domain (AD authentication) so I can't see any problems with another shared folders (using any AD account). Seems to me it's because of linux permissions which ESXi applied each time during backup.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Definetely is because of that. 

See in QNAP you can configure CIFS or NFS and Windows natively tries to mount the folders by using CIFS protocol. Of course you can mount NFS folders in Windows but for that you need to install the NFS Client feature. And I am not a QNAP expert user but as I can see in their official page there are some sorts of different permissions for NFS or Windows: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/vmware-configuring-nfs-datastore-with-qnap-qes/

I presume that if the folder was created by using NFS host access you will only be able to access it by using NFS protocol but it could be possible to mount it if you change it to Users and Group permissions.

However I would test this with a new folder ,as you already have it mounted as a NFS Datastore, to avoid any issues.

Also for you, here a quick procedure on how to mount an NFS by using NFS Client on Windows: https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/

0 Kudos