VMware Cloud Community
cdicks11223
Contributor
Contributor

NFS and IP reconfiguration

I've inherited an ESXI host with a NFS datastore that's currently mounted and in use. Unfortunately, the ESXI host doesn't have an IP that's in the same subnet as the datastore so all that storage traffic is going through our router.

I want to add a new IP to the ESXI host that's on the right subnet and just have the traffic going through our switches.

My question is, am I able to do that while everything is up and running? Just add the new IP and everything should just reconnect without issue. Or do i have to unmount the datastore first and then configure the networking the remount and import the disks?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
T180985
Expert
Expert

You should be able to add a new vmk on the correct NFS subnet to prevent traffic having to be routed

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Yes, you can create the related VMKernel port ( & also IP configuration associated with the NFS server/storage network) and add the NFS datastore. No need to dismount it from the other servers before adding the new host.

Don't forget to check the authentication and permission settings on the NFS server before adding it as the new datastore

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
cdicks11223
Contributor
Contributor

So after finally going through with this ended up with a snag.

After adding the new vmkernal adapter with the correct address the VM is unable to communicate with the NFS share.  It remains connect and I can refresh and view the files but I get an error when turning on the VM saying it's unaccessible.

root@ESXI-1:~] esxcli storage nfs list

Volume Name          Host                    Share                              Accessible  Mounted  Read-Only   isPE  Hardware Acceleration

-------------------  ----------------------  ---------------------------------  ----------  -------  ---------  -----  ---------------------

nas02  nas02  /mnt/ZFSPool1/nfsdatastorenas02       false     true      false  false  Unknown

----------------------

If I delete the newly created vmkernal, everything works without issue.  It's just with the new adapter does it give these permissions.  I can ping the file server and seem to have connectivity otherwise. 

Do I need to reboot the host or reconnect the NFS share?

0 Kudos