VMware Cloud Community
sik62
Contributor
Contributor

NEED Help ESXi 6.0 Lost NIC capability

Folks,

I have a Compaq Elite 8200 SFF that was running for the last year with an internal NIC ( Integrated Intel 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet ). I had a special build with the driver injected, and everything worked fine until about a week ago, and now after a reboot to move equipment, it cannot find a NIC card? I am totally stopped dead as I have a number of virtual machines that _were_ running until about a week ago. I thought the internal nic had gone bad, so I bought a new one ( TP-LINK TG-3468 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter ) which was said to work, STILL NOT NIC. I am a bit panicky now, as I cannot reload the whole host, and I cannot fathom what happened as it was working just a week ago for over a year. The console is next to useless, as there is no way to get to shell prompt there to see anything in the kernel, can anyone recommend what my next steps should be?

3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Aren't you able to login to the DCUI from the console?

What may help is to press ALT-F12 on the console to view the vmkernel log.

André

sik62
Contributor
Contributor

I have logged in to the DCUI, and I can get logs, but no real information about why it can't find the NIC. I am not sure if I should look for probes that fail, or what kind of message is given as it hunts for the correct hardware. I am assuming that it tries probing known memory address ranges and interrupts to find the NIC and USB and other hardware items during kernel startup?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do the NICs show up under "Configure Management Network" -> "Network Adapters" in the DCUI?

Since you mentioned that you moved the equipment, can you ensure that the host has physical network access (network cables, physical switch settings, ...)?

André

0 Kudos