VMware Cloud Community
garethsnaim
Contributor
Contributor

My licence key for six has gone?

Hi.

I had a licence key for version 6 in my account, have had it a long time. In January however I moved to Unraid but late July and I decided I far prefer ESXi.

The licence is now gone from my account page.

So I downloaded and got a licence for 7. But 7 seems to have a bug when I try an install it on on my t7500 dell, on the select drive for install nothing is shown. Refreshing has no effect. I tried the dell only image, no effect.  It feels like a bug because it does not even try to scan for drives.

Hey ho I thought I'll install 6, and 6 installs just fine. But I have no licence, there does not appear to be a free licence for 6 anymore and I cannot install 7

Is this it for me then?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
garethsnaim
Contributor
Contributor

One other thing can I just say the whole VMware website and download centre thing is the most confusing website I have ever used.

garethsnaim
Contributor
Contributor

Followed this article:

VMware Knowledge Base

Was not offered a sign up form to register product

Found a link on that page:

Click View downloads and licenses. Alternatively, you can access your license key by following this link

That link takes you to a broken page

This page isn’t working

auth.vmware.com is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 502

Clicking on the link from my downlolads page for  'View downloads and licences' just takes me to this page:

Evaluate VMware Products

Please how can I create a new licence for the free product?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ESXi 7 does not include or support device drivers of type vmklinux, so rather than a bug I would guess that the reason you didn’t see any disks is because of the driver needed for your controller.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
garethsnaim
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Thats a real shame, although I have a perc 710 in there as well unrecognised.

I can live with that though as long as I can get my licences back for V6, but its gone, seemingly no way to regenerate one so is that it for me then?

I have 6 running right here now, but don't want to start configuring it if its going to expire in 2 months.

0 Kudos
garethsnaim
Contributor
Contributor

Please note this page does not work, I am never offered a form to fill out for the licence.

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
garethsnaim
Contributor
Contributor

OK I have fixed it.

This page takes you to your licence for 7

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi7

I just changed the 7 on the end for 6 and low and behold my licence popped up for 6.

What a messy website.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would usually expect any vendor to only offer an evaluation of the latest version of their software, so still being able to get a key today which would even work for 6.0 after it is out of it’s support lifecycle isn’t bad...

Glad you resolved your issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos