VMware Cloud Community
bruno300
Contributor
Contributor

My VMS does not initiate more in VMWARE ESXi 4.1 after turning off and turning on them.

Hi,

I have a very serious problem with VMWARE. I have four VMs installed on a Dell PowerEdge R710 server. These VMs have the Red Hat 5 64 bits or CentOS , both were running perfectly. So I took a shutdown in three of the four VMs and when I was trying to start them again they did not initiate.

Vmdk and vmx files are intact, nothing has changed. I just shutdown on these VMS and then I start again. Before that they were all working perfectly, what can be happening?

Events tab of vSphere Client displays the following messages:

Virtual machine on vmwareesx04 is powered on:

Message fromvmwareesx04: No bootable

device was detected.  A bootable device might be a CD, floppy,

hard disk, or network device, as when booting with PXE. To

install an operating system, insert a bootable CD or floppy and

restart the virtual machine.

I am also sending one print screen of the console screen of the VMS I'm trying to start

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Try to boot the VM's using a Live Linux CD (e.g. gparted) to check whether the partitions are intact.

Do you see any errors/warnings in the VM's vmware.log files (located in the VM's folders)?

André

0 Kudos
bruno300
Contributor
Contributor

Bellow the vmware.log from one of VMs.

At least I have not found any errors in this log

Message was edited by: a.p. - Moved pasted log file to an attachment.

0 Kudos
bruno300
Contributor
Contributor

Another test I did was copy all the files from one of these VMs to another location and then tried to start on VMware Workstation, but the same error occurred.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the log file your virtual disks are set to "independent-nonpersistent" which means all changes are discarded after shutting down the VM. Unless you have an up to date backup, I'm afraid you may have to reinstall everything!

André

bruno300
Contributor
Contributor

Goodness!
Thank you, actually I did not created these VMS. The person who created must not have noticed it

0 Kudos