VMware Cloud Community
MDOnsakia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My VM automatically shutdown

I've one VM in my infrastructure which I've to keep powering on every day in the morning.

Tried to go through the log file and cannot locate the precise cause of this.

Any idea of what might be causing this?

Attached is the log file for this specific VM.

Regards,

Davis Onsakia

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Since you're running Windows Server, you should double-check to ensure that you've activated your copy of Windows.  If you haven't activated it yet, I think you will get some trial period and then it will start regularly shutting itself down.

Power on the VM and check its Windows Event Log (eventvwr.exe) to see if there's a reason given for the OS shutdown.  The log you posted shows that the VM is powering off because Windows asked the system to power off, not because of anything that vSphere in particular is doing.  For a guest-OS-initiated shutdown, usually the guest OS's event log will explain why.

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

7 Replies
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If the guest OS is Windows  check the power options.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Since you're running Windows Server, you should double-check to ensure that you've activated your copy of Windows.  If you haven't activated it yet, I think you will get some trial period and then it will start regularly shutting itself down.

Power on the VM and check its Windows Event Log (eventvwr.exe) to see if there's a reason given for the OS shutdown.  The log you posted shows that the VM is powering off because Windows asked the system to power off, not because of anything that vSphere in particular is doing.  For a guest-OS-initiated shutdown, usually the guest OS's event log will explain why.

Cheers,

--

Darius

Kaustubhambulka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A Guest OS initiated halt generates below event within the virtual machine logs

2017-03-21T17:02:40.242Z| vcpu-0| I120: PIIX4: PM Soft Off.  Good-bye.

2017-03-21T17:02:40.242Z| vcpu-0| I120: Chipset: Issuing power-off request...

2017-03-21T17:02:40.261Z| vmx| I120: Stopping VCPU threads...

Check the OS logs for details.

0 Kudos
MDOnsakia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Darius for the insights. Will definitely look into this.

Checking as well the issue on the Window Server event viewer and see if there's anything which can an idea of what's going on.

0 Kudos
VMtoffaha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MDOnsakia​ are you have any anti virus installed in this VM ?

VMtoffaha
0 Kudos
MDOnsakia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The server has Kaspersky Anti-virus installed.

However, I don't expect this to be the cause.

As an update, I did activate the Windows and today the server has not restarted. Will keep monitoring to see if this was the root cause.

0 Kudos
MDOnsakia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys. I appreciate.

Activating Windows seems to have resolved my issue.

I wish Microsoft can make this more explicitly in their Windows that you need activation otherwise they will keep you stressed by powering in off till manually powered on.

0 Kudos