VMware Cloud Community
zenomorph
Contributor
Contributor

Mutilple iSCSI targets

Hi there......

I'd like some advice on setup of iSCSI connectivity to storage, we currently have a 2 host ESXi 5.0 Cluster connected to a HP iSCSI storage. What were planning is to add an additional NetApp with iSCSI connectivity from the cluster to the storage.

At the moment we have 'vmhba iSCSI Software Adapter bounded to two vmknic's (vmk1 and vmk2), each one bounded to a nic in a teaming fashion - now since we have an additional storage in place were not sure how to best connect to this Netapp via iSCSI with best performance.

Can anyone provide some advice on whats the best configuration on such a setup - in short we our cluster needs connectivity have multiple iSCSI storages targets, since I cannot create another iSCSI intiator (I beleive this isn't supported by ESXi) :

1. how should I configure the ESXi iSCSI initiator - since ESXi
  2. do I use the same initiator and add additional NICs to the targets
  3. is this a supported configuration

Many thanks..... cheersSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Hey Zenomorph,

This is really easy acutally.  Once you have your NetApp up and running with an ISCSI Iniator address just put that in as your other IP in your Dynamic Discovery, then rescan.  Any LUNS from the NetApp will show up assuming you have your ACL's setup properly on the SAN.

You can have as many discovery portals as you want in your iSCSI software Initiator

1. how should I configure the ESXi iSCSI initiator - since ESXi
    1. You can configure this in the VI or the web GUI.  In the VI click on a host > Configuration > Storage Adapters > usally iSCSI software initator is vmhba33 but it can be something different.  You can enable it in here as well if it is not on
  2. do I use the same initiator and add additional NICs to the targets
    1. You two nics you have bound to iSCSI will be used for all iSCSI paths.  The only difference is you will have 1 more Target IQN/IP in your discovery portal in your iSCSI software Initiator
  3. is this a supported configuration

1. Yes by all means it is.

If you have any other questions please let me know,

0 Kudos