VMware Cloud Community
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Multiple vCenter

Hello,

On a network, can I have multiple vCenter servers?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. They can operate separately or be “linked”, but you cannot have multiple vCenters managing the same ESXi host.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

You can have up to 64 vCenters within your network organization. You have to check the vCenter ID and assign different IDs to each of your vCenters because this ID is part of the creation of MACs for the VM vNICs. During a installation a vCenter try do identify other installation and select a different one... so each vCenter needs its unique ID.

It doesnt matter if you use Linked Mode or not.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
hack3rcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thank you so much.

I have some ESXi hosts, I want to have two vCenter servers that each of them, manage same hosts. Is it possible? For example, all of my ESXi hosts, exist on both vCenter servers.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

This was already answered and the answer is "NO". 

Question:
For what reason you would like to license($$$$) two vCenter instances and run both at same time?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos