VMware Cloud Community
simonk1969
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Multiple processors/cores ?

I'm a bit confused as to why when trying to create a virtual machine with a 64 bit OS they won't install as they beleive that the server is not 64 bit.

I've attached some screen shots which will hopefully help, the server is a Poweredge SC1425 with a single dual core processor.

Does the free licence only allow servers with one physical CPU ? But multiple cores ?

Regards

Simon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The free license allow 1 processor with up to 6 cores. Maybe you don't have VT enabled on bios to allow the creation of a 64 bit VM.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The free license allow 1 processor with up to 6 cores. Maybe you don't have VT enabled on bios to allow the creation of a 64 bit VM.

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As said check VT is enabled and that the guest is configured as a 64-bit OS.

Free license does support multiple CPUs but is restricted to 6 cores per CPU.

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

if you can't boot 64 bits virtual machines, maybe all the needed requisites aren't satisfied. Check this.

Hope this helps.

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think an SC1425 machine has a 64-bit processor....

0 Kudos
averylarry2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't think an SC1425 machine has a 64-bit processor....

It must, or ESXi 4 wouldn't install at all. Unless this is posted in the wrong forum.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> It must, or ESXi 4 wouldn't install at all. Unless this is posted in the wrong forum.

OK, so it probably doesn't support VT extension then...

0 Kudos
simonk1969
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I look in the BIOS I have no option to enable VT.

There is a section showing CPU specs and one of the lines says '64bit System - True, Intel EM64T'

It is ESXi 4 that I have installed.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

That's not what we are looking for. Maybe you will need to upgrade your BIOS firmware.

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
simonk1969
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've created the boot disc from : http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8978

Ran it on my SC1425 and it reports 'This core does not support VT'

So from my understanding then ESXi sees it as a 64 bit machine but I will only ever be able to install 32 bit Operating Systems as the processors do not support VT.

Thanks for your help

Simon

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

But not all EM64T CPUs support VT - which is needed specifically to run 64-bit guests.

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

you welcome Smiley Happy

Your CPU doesn't support Intel VT, then you won't be able to boot 64 bits guests. I'm sorry

Please, award any helpful reply. This is the way to award forum users that helps others.

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos