VMware Cloud Community
Sergey65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Multiple errors in ESXi 5.5

Hello All,

We have an ESXi 5.5 build 3247226 server, that is throwing the following errors:

Attempting to start a VM fails with "Heap globalCartel-1 already at its maximum size of 7869288. Cannot expand.

Could not start VMX: msg.vmk.status.VMK_NO_MEMORY", although there is plenty of memory available.

Attempting to upload files to and download files from the server's datastores results in "Failed to log into NFC server".

Attempting to open gues VM consoles fails with "Unable to connect to the MKS: Could not connect to pipe \\.\pipe\vmware-authdpipe within retry period".

One of the virtual machines on the server now registers as invalid, and removing it from, then re-adding it to inventory does not help.

Please help!

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try rebooting the host. Hope you at least have proper VM backups.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is now long out of support and should have been upgraded some time ago.

0 Kudos
Sergey65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I appreciate that, daphissov - which is why i went to this forum, instead of opening a support case - but this is the situation I have been handed. We are, in fact, trying to migrate the VMs to a different server, but this is made difficult by the broken access. Can anyone please help?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try rebooting the host. Hope you at least have proper VM backups.

Sergey65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM backups are not working, but I have taken full Windows backups, once I saw what was happening. Will build copies of the guest servers on the new ESXi from backup, then try the reboot, if that's what it takes, yes. Thank you for the advice.

0 Kudos
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Attempting to open gues VM consoles fails with "Unable to connect to the MKS: Could not connect to pipe \\.\pipe\vmware-authdpipe within retry period".

Check if you have opened correct firewall ports. For console on version 5.5 you need to open port 902 from client to ESXi hosts.

Attempting to upload files to and download files from the server's datastores results in "Failed to log into NFC server".

It also looks as firewall.

Check this:

https://cstan.io/?p=8695&lang=en

And here you can check all required ports:

VMware Knowledge Base

And last one:

Attempting to start a VM fails with "Heap globalCartel-1 already at its maximum size of 7869288. Cannot expand.

Could not start VMX: msg.vmk.status.VMK_NO_MEMORY", although there is plenty of memory available.

Check this:

VMware Knowledge Base

Sergey65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, Pawel!

I checked firewall settings, they appear to be Allow All for all essential services, but I will consult with our Network team, to see if there could be more to it.

0 Kudos
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try do a telnet from computer where you have opened client to ESXi hosts on port 902.

You will see if firewall block something.....maybe it is Windows FW or something.

Sergey65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

902 works. We have had some network changes at the site, though, there might be something to it

Honestly, I think daphnissov might be right, I also think the ESXi host might just need a reboot. Just if I'm wrong, we could lose the VM servers, and the product is out of support. I want to create replacement servers from WIndows backups, before I mess with this further. Really appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Sergey65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issues were, in fact, resolved by reboot. Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos