VMware Cloud Community
haimbeyhan
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple cluster datastore access problem when registering vm

Hi

We're using several Esxi 5.1 servers with Virtual Center 5.1. We have 2 clusters with different servers in each. Hosts from different clusters see the same datastores with different names and paths.

I had to remove from inventory of the 2.cluster one vm and reregister it. When I want to register it to the 2.cluster again, I choose the 2.cluster, then choose the host in the cluster but it's trying to connect through the datastore path of the 1.cluster hosts and then giving error that the path is not accessible.

I can register it directly to the host of the 2.cluster but then it's not shown in virtual center.

Any solution?

Thanks,

Haim Beyhan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kashifkarar01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello haimbeyhan,

When we register a VM it looks for the .vmx file . In the .vmx file if the .vmdk path is listed with datastore name as mentioned in cluster 1 then in cluster 2 it will not accept.

It is always recommended to have same name for the datastore which is shared accross 2 hosts or 2 clusters.

0 Kudos
haimbeyhan
Contributor
Contributor

I checked the vmx file again and there is no absolute path there.

scsi0:0.fileName = "VM1.vmdk"

Tried to change the vmx and give absolute path but it still trying to access through the 1.cluster path and fails registering.

I tried to crate another datastore with same name in the 2.cluster but then I receive an error that the datastore name already exists in virtual center.

Haim

0 Kudos