VMware Cloud Community
fartman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Multiple Vlan tagging to vswitch

Hi i've got abt 20 vm in an ESX 4.0 each with different vlan and all the vm cannot see each other what would be a best approach for this setup; do i create a virtual switch for each vm but with different vlan tagging assign to each? (meaning 20 virtual switch) or would using pvlan a better option for this i only got 2 physical cables connected to this esx carrying all the 20 vlan traffic.Or any other recommendation?

Thanks for any info

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
6 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Each vSwitch this at least a vmnic to be able to communicate with another vSwitch of the external net. So for 20 vSwitches you'd need 20 NICs on your host.

Best way to do this is just create one vSwitch with at least a couple NICs, and then create port groups for each of your VLANs. You will be able to assign a VLAN ID to your portgroups. Then, on your networking configuration, isolate the VLANs from each other.

What edition of ESX do you have ?

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would create a vswtich than use the pvlan to segment the network in "isolated" groups, just bear in mind a couple of things.

this KB may help you remind the limitation of the pvlan "http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1010691&sl... 0 158540432" .

Alex

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

PVLANs are great, but do you have Enterprise Plus licensing ?

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
alefestaedist
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thought you may try to use standard vlan but of course you will have to create more vswitch, vnic and do some extra effort on the physical swtich.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100380...

0 Kudos
VMAmit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Alex,

slightly off-topic question, i am trying to register 1000v extension file to esxi 4.1, however when i right click in Plug-in Manager , New Plug-in... option is always grayed out, any ideas ?

esxi 4.1 on DL380 G4

0 Kudos