VMware Cloud Community
rlivermore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Multiple VLANs on a standard switch

Looking for help getting a VLAN setup in a ESXi 4.1 environment. Our network consists of two VLANs one data ID 1 (192.168.5.x) and voice ID 2 (192.168.11.x) on our core HP switch and all works well. Our ESXi cluster has vSwitch0 setup and commuinicating to our data VLAN. I'm attempting to get a VM guest running W2K8 to work off the voice VLAN. Setup vSwitch2 as a VM Network with ID 2. I statically assigned the ip address to 192.168.11.100 with a gateway of 11.1 (core switch). Physically connected a patch cord from the host the guest belongs to to the core switch and tagged the core switch port appropriately. I then migrated the network connection of the guest to the new network but the network settings show it as an "unidentified network" and don't have access to any resources. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rlivermore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have my answer, my issue was due to improper tagging on the core switch port. I had set the port as untagged on the voice VLAN instead of tagged, once I switched the setting all is well now; its communicating across the appropriate networks now. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos