Dear Experts

Issue with VDs with multiple uplink groups

I have pair of uplink groups categories as

1) Production NIC Pair (1 Active and 1 Standby) for VLAN 1,2 and 3

2) Test Servers NIC Pair (1 Active and 1 Standby) for VLAN 4,5 and 6

3) Mgmt svr NIC Pair (1 Active and 1 Standby) only for VLAN 20

4) VMotion NIC Pair  (1 Active and 1 Standby) only for VLAN 40

5) FT NIC Pair  (1 Active and 1 Standby) only for VLAN 41

I connected all uplink to my VDS and created port groups with VLAN TYPE: VLAN even VLAN trunk and test a VM but NO connectivity.

VM only connecting when i configure port group VLAN TYPE as None

How can i configure this VDs, So each port group with specific vlan and its traffic will utilize that concern active uplink.

Note: Host are HP Blades servers, uplinks are SUS (Shared Uplink Sets)  from HP FlexFabric interconnect module on Enclosure C7000.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShadyMalatawey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can u plz share a screenshot of ur vds configuration Smiley Happy ...??!!!
I can't get it totally right.. Smiley Happy

Sincerely, Shady Ali El-Malatawey MCITP: Virtualization Administration 2008 VCP5-DCV/DT --- VCAP5-DCA/DCD @ShadyMalatawey https://virtualpharaohs.com
technologyuser
Contributor
Contributor

HI Shady

I Google it and found below answer:

For the distributed switch, you only have one set of uplinks. This is in contrast to, say, the Cisco Nexus 1000V, which does allow you to have multiple uplink groups. You may have one uplink group connected to a DMZ network and a second one connected to the production network.

The DMZ uplink group cares about all the VLANs in the DMZ. The one for the production network cares about the VLANs found there. You can’t do that with the vSphere Distributed Switch. If you have a DMZ network and a separate physical production network, you’ll need to segment that, but you only have one uplink group in each vDS.

Thus, i created a single VDs with single pair for uplink group and port groups for each VLAN ID and created separate VSS for VMotion, FT and etc.....things are okay but surprise to found VMware VDs does not support multiple uplink groups.

0 Kudos
ShadyMalatawey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah unfortunately doesn't support it..
I heard that it might be support in V6 Smiley Happy
I wish I could help..

Sincerely, Shady Ali El-Malatawey MCITP: Virtualization Administration 2008 VCP5-DCV/DT --- VCAP5-DCA/DCD @ShadyMalatawey https://virtualpharaohs.com
Mohammed_Saeed
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, Now vSphere 6 relaesed2 years ago, does it support what the requested asked for?

0 Kudos