VMware Cloud Community
TheCableGuy96
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple NICs on Multiple vLANs

Hi,

I'm new to ESXi and have managed to get hold of an old Dell R720xd and put ESXi 8 on it.

It has 4 NICs and I'm really struggling to see how I can assign each one a different IP on different vLANs so I can assign different nodes t different vLANs.

Would anyone be able to offer me any help please?

Thank you in advance!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
27 Replies
TheCableGuy96
Contributor
Contributor

Okay that's done... I'm just having an issue with the vLANs.

I've created my vLANs, 1, 5, 10,etc...

I've booted from a vmdk and it wasn't responding. So I looked at the switch and set the ports for the NICs to "T" on vLAN1 and the VM came online, but then I lost access to the VMWare Web Interface.

I thought then maybe I don't need a to create a port group for vLAN1, but there's no option when creating the vLAN1 to select anything other than the created groups.

So how do I get some VMs on the default vLAN1?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

A VLAN ID on a virtual port group must only be set for VLANs other than the physical switch's native/default VLAN.

André

0 Kudos
TheCableGuy96
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I'm not totally understanding...

The management interface is set to vLAN0 by default but it's residing on vLAN1.

If I want to assign a VM to vLAN1 there's no option for the management vLAN when creating a VM, just all the other vLAN groups I created.

So to assign a VM to vLAN1 I have to create another group and assign it that that vLAN1.

Once it boots into it I can't access it unless I trunk the ports but then in doing so it stops access to the web interface on the management interface. 

groups.png

0 Kudos
TheCableGuy96
Contributor
Contributor

The only way around it I can think of is to change the management vLAN from 0 to 1 and trunk the ports then I think I should be able to access both the management web interface and the VM itself?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

hat you may do is to simply create a new Virtual Machine Portgroup with the desired name (can be "VLAN1") but let the VLAN-ID for that port group at its default "0".

The reason for this is that the physical switch sends network packages for the native/default VLAN as untagged packages. ESXi forwards such packages to port groups that have no VLAN-ID set (i.e. VLAN-ID 0).

André

0 Kudos
TheCableGuy96
Contributor
Contributor

that's done the trick thank you!!!

One last question if you don't mind?

I installed an OVA/OVF which was Dell OpenManage Server Administrator. It's now responding and online but I cannot access the web interface. I was wondering if the ESXi firewall might have something to do with this? Or does the ESXi firewall only apply to the host?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

ESXi itself does not restrict traffic from and to VMs.

André

0 Kudos
TheCableGuy96
Contributor
Contributor

Okay issue is the VM then, thanks for all your help everyone 🙂

0 Kudos