VMware Cloud Community
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Multiple Default Gateway in an ESXi

Can we configure different Default Gateway in an ESXi for some vmkernel ports like for one 10.0.0.9 and for another 172.10.0.7 ?

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
4 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

I don't know if multiple default gateways is the way to go. Very unpredictable, I'd go with configuring static routes.

Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try configuring more than one default gateway on a Windows machine. You'll get a prompt effectively saying "I don't know what you think you're going to achieve, but you're not going to achieve it". It's no different under VMware. You really don't want to do this.

0 Kudos
BranFoodLANStan
Contributor
Contributor

Avinash21 has the answer for what you're trying to achieve, however, to actually answer your question: No, it is not possible to setup more than one Default Gateway on a vSphere host.  If there were more than one, then it would have no way of differentiating between the two as they would not be unique from a routing perspective.

However, if you want to set up a static route to a network segment behind another router, then yes this is certainly achievable.  This is not the same as a Default Route, it is simply an alternate route for a specific destination.  Avinash21 has your answer there.