Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Multiple CPUs/Cores

Hi,

I'am setting up a host with Esxi4.

Host has 1CPU with 4 cores.

Planning to install 2 vm's.

Can I assign more than 2cpu/core's to my vm's?

If I only assign 1cpu/core's to the vm does this mean that it can only use 1core?

I hope this makes any sense.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - Yes a vCPU runs on a single core at a time -  so ig you want your VM to run on two cores you will have assign two vcpus - best paractice is always to start with the least amount of vcpus and ad if needed

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi

You can assign as many cores as you have available physically. so If you have four cores you can essentially assign four cores to both vm's but there will obviously be contention if they are highly utilised

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - Yes a vCPU runs on a single core at a time -  so ig you want your VM to run on two cores you will have assign two vcpus - best paractice is always to start with the least amount of vcpus and ad if needed

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos