VMware Cloud Community
vinay1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Multipathing on ESXi

Hi Techies,

I have an ESXi host and a NetApp Storage and would like to configure multipathing from ESXi to netapp filer. please suggest what are the pre-requisite and how to configure multipathing in between ESXi host and Netapp filer.

regards

VINAY

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

ESXi has mutli-pathing already built-in and all you basically need to do is to follow the storage vendor's best practices to attach ESXi to the storage. see e.g. http://blogs.vmware.com/alliances/2012/02/vmware_bestpractices_netapp.html

André

0 Kudos
vinay1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi André,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I just want to know if i create 2 paths in between ESXi host and Netapp. do I need to keep two IP addresses (if i go with iSCSI) with 2 iSCSI initiator or one will work.

regards

VINAY

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Each "initiator" needs it's own IP address. For Software iSCSI or dependent iSCSI HBAs you need to set an IP address for each VMKernel port and for independent HBAs you need to set an IP address on each HBA.

André

0 Kudos
vinay1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi André,

I was going through the document (Netapp TR) for multipathing and I got one more document related to  ESX Host Utilities 5.1.

is the host utility also used for multipathing. not sure about it. please suggest.

regards

VINAY

0 Kudos