VMware Cloud Community
usao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Multipathing in guest OS

Can anyone give any guidance on how to configure a guest OS (Linux) with multipathing, as it would be configured if the host OS was running on physical hardware?

Every Guest OS that I build only sees a single path to each LUN, so im not able to simulate the physical HW configuration we typically use on a native HW OS install where the OS sees multiple paths to the LUN.

Is it possible, and if so, where can I find out how to do that.

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
4 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

For Guest to have multi pathing , you should have:

1. configure software iscsi inside the Guest Operating system.

2. Map luns to the Guest software initiator, ESX will never able to see those luns.

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
usao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, no way to do it with FC luns, only iscsi luns?

Ron

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

Ron ,

You can do for FC as well, In that case use pass-through approach.

FC hba, please make it pass through to the VM, and VM should have the driver install on it.

-A

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
russ1a1
Contributor
Contributor

Wondering if anyone has any new information on this topic.  We are working on a similar project and are having the same problem where we have a RedHat 7.7 GA VM running on ESXi 6.7U3 and setup with the QLogic HBA cards in the physical server as pass though to the VM.  We can see everything when the FC LUNs are presented to the the Linux OS but only one path is live.  We know the path policy is correct and everything from the storage side is presented correctly.  We validated that if we disable the pass though and just present the volumes to ESXi that all paths show up.  Just not when we configure pass through on the HBAs and then present directly to the guest OS.

Thanks for any input.

0 Kudos