VMware Cloud Community
hkito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Multicast over NLB

Hi,

Anything else need to configure after configured "Multicast" under Windows NLB ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
hkito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a RDS cluster under Windows 2008 R2.

After changed NLB to "Multicast", my RDS connection failure.

But it's succeed to connect under "Unicast".

Please advice.

Thanks !

0 Kudos
sgunelius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good morning.  Was it working previously under Multicast and then stopped?  I ask because this just happened to us on pretty much the same day.  We've been using multicast for NLB on our virtual CAS/HT VMs and it's been fine until this morning.  We're still trying to troubleshoot between HP's VMware team and Microsoft NLB team.

0 Kudos
suvrobhattachar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Could you please share the specific error what you are getting right now .

0 Kudos
sgunelius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We cannot ping the cluster IP address assigned to NLB and our Outlook clients can't access Exchange via the FQDN (and cluster IP).  We've been running this configuration for years with no issue until this morning.  I'm double-checking with HP's VMware team to ensure there isn't anything preventing that address from being accessed.  I may also open a call with HP's Virtual Connect team to ensure there isn't anything in that "black box" preventing access to that address.

0 Kudos
hkito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, it never work under "Multicast" It can work under "Unicast" only.

Under "Multicast", I can ping both cluster DNS and both cluster nodes.

Any settings required on network switch ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

when your NLB is in Unicast, network switch porgroup where your clustered nodes (VMs) are connected is having notify switches set to NO

this is not required when your set your NLB in multicast

Ref. KBs

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1556

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100658...

Also see sample Multicast NLB configuration

VMware KB: Sample Configuration - Network Load Balancing (NLB) Multicast Mode Configuration

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
hkito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Checked currently was configured to "Yes". And I am used same method to configure NLB cluster.

But "Unicast" work but "Multicast"not.

Please advice.

Thanks

0 Kudos
hkito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just clone one server for testing purpose.

Got warning after confgured NLB.

Please advice.

Thanks

0 Kudos