VMware Cloud Community
Prinzzera
Contributor
Contributor

Multi gpu boards

Hello,

I've a question. If i have a multi gpu card like Radeon pro Duo or a GTX Titan Z or a GTX690 and i activate PCI Passthrough. Can i add the first gpu to vm1 and the other gpu to vm2? or can i only add both of them to vm1?

Kind regards

Prinzzera

7 Replies
larstr
Champion
Champion

Prinzzerra,

In theory you can do this, but you will have a hard time getting consumer Nvidia cards working with official Nvidia drivers as the driver will detect that it's running in a VM and fail to load. AMD & Intel cards should work fine though.

Lars

0 Kudos
Prinzzera
Contributor
Contributor

Hi lars,

thanks. actually i use an Radeon RX 580 and one GTX 550 Ti, but i only have 2 PCIe Slots an need 4 GPU's so i must know that i can dedicated every single gpu on each board (Equal to the gtx 690/gtx titan Z or Radeon pro duo) I have 4 VM's and need one every one Hardware GPU.

So my question is that it work, when i get a dual GPU system to passthrough one gpu to one VM.

Sorry for my bad english.

Kind regards.

Prinzzera

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Prinzzera,

For example a K1 is a card with 4 gpus. You can easily passthrough each of these cards to 4 different VMs. It should be similar with your cards even though I don't you will get the driver working on the GTX 550 card.

Lars

0 Kudos
Prinzzera
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Lars,

Thank you for your response. The GTX 550 TI and the RX580 works very well. I've activated pci passthrough and make some additional lines in the config to make them work in the vm. But its only one GPU on the board and so Two GPU's for two VM's 😉

I know that the grid K1 has 4 gpus and the K2 has two GPU's. (but they are very expensive and the Grid K2 is the same like the Tesla K10/GTX690)

but i did not know how it works if i use an standard GPU board with 2 GPU's. If it should work like the grid card, i think it would be nice and can be cheap to build a network streaming (steam) system for the familiy 😉

with the actual setup it works with 2 VM's, but i need it for 4 VM's Smiley Happy

so it was my question, does it works with Radeon Pro duo or GTX 690 or GTX Titan Z or maybe with a Tesla K10... did somebody ever tried that?

Kind regards

Steven

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Steven,

I did something similar and setup a gaming VM with a R9-280 card and Steam Link. I also tried to use GTX 760 and GTX 670, but didn't have much success with those cards as the Nvidia drivers would not load properly.

Lars

0 Kudos
Prinzzera
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Lars,

did you tried:

- hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = FALSE

- pciPassthru0.msiEnabled = FALSE

- On the Geforce you need an headless ghost adapter (i use HDMI ghost adapters) after the you must connect to the VM via teamviewer or something like that and deactivate the VMware Virtual Display (2nd monitor) so that the Ghostscreen on the nvidia is the only one that is activ.

If you don't have an Monitor or headless ghost adaptor on your GPU, it won't work.

Then steam and all other works well. On Radeonsystems ist it much simpler, there you must only delete in the VDI file the virtual screen.

As i Said i use an gtx 550 TI and one Radeon RX 580 with Steam on VM's and Raspberry as steamlink 😉

It works well. Give it a try.

PS: I Ordered an Tesla K10 today to test it Smiley Happy

Kind regards

Steven

larstr
Champion
Champion

Steven,

That's great to hear! I did try a few tricks like extra monitor and ghost cable. It sounds like I should give it another try now that I hear what you've done! You should write a blog post about your setup as I think more people would be interested in the details. Smiley Happy

Lars

0 Kudos