VMware Cloud Community
mamoth100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Multi-Writer Flag not working

Wondering if any one has come across this in ESXi 6.0 (vCenter 6.0 U1).

When you go into Edit Settings > Options tab > General > Configuration Parameters and try to add the following:

scsi0:3.sharing = multi-writer   (or whatever scsi id is being used)

It doesn't stick. Curious if this was removed or replaced in version 6.0 of ESXi. Seems 5.5 still allows this to be added. But anytime I try to add it, the configuration change goes through but when I look at the settings again, it is no longer there (which I've seen in the past when you put in a wrong setting). And when I boot a cluster, I can confirm the disks are not being "shared" as one of them complains that the disks are locked.

It only seems to happen in 6.0.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tim01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have confirmed this to be an unresolved bug with VMware Support. While you can add the multi-writer setting right on the VMX file on the host, you cannot add it via the Web Client or C# client. Adding it directly to the VMX file does seem to work. However, the configuration settings do not show up in either client even though they do persist (but again, only if added directly to the VMX).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MKBA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Multi-write option need to be enabled using vsphere web client (

Edit vm advanced settings (options->General->configuration paramater) & add the below parameter

scsi1:0.sharing = "multi-writer"

This will configure multi-write option

Thanks

Muruli

0 Kudos
mamoth100
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the response. However, that is what I am doing. And it is disappearing. Again, only in ESXi 6.0.

0 Kudos
MKBA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Multiwriter works with RDM disk and not available for EZT or LZT or Thin disks in 6.0

But If you have Vcenter server 6.0 update 1 which will supports EZT disk for multi-write option.

Below release note gives you more info

VMware vCenter Server 6.0 Update 1 Release Notes

Multiwriter flag might not get saved for Eager Zero Thick (EZT) disk

Attempts to set a multiwriter VMDK flag using the VMware vCenter server 6.0 Update 1 Web Client might not get saved on the VMX file.

This issue is resolved in this release.

0 Kudos
Tim01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again for the response! I should have mentioned these are RDM disks. So it should work I suspect.

0 Kudos
Tim01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have confirmed this to be an unresolved bug with VMware Support. While you can add the multi-writer setting right on the VMX file on the host, you cannot add it via the Web Client or C# client. Adding it directly to the VMX file does seem to work. However, the configuration settings do not show up in either client even though they do persist (but again, only if added directly to the VMX).

0 Kudos
Jayaraghavendra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

The same is not working on Esxi 6.0 U2 with VCenter 6.0 U2.

0 Kudos
jackchentoronto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I know this is a very old thread, but I met the same problem today.

I am going to try to modify the vmx file directly, but I am curiously has anybody tried the other configuration on each disk?

on ESXi 6.0 U2 host it shows

diskshare.png

Maybe now we can just turn on the share from UI directly ?

0 Kudos