VMware Cloud Community
Curdasss
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Mulltiple vmware-hostd process running

I have an ESX4 server that disconnected itself from virtualcenter. I went in and ran "service mgmt-vmware restart" and the command hung for about 3 hours, I eventually had to go in and try to kill the vmware-hostd by issuing the kill -9 command. After that I restarted the mgmt-vmware service however could not get the server to connect to either the VIC or VC server. I issued the "service mgmt-vmware restart" command again and it restarted the service, however, I noticed that it did not kill the vmware-hostd process it just created a new one. I've tried stopping the mgmt-vmware service, which say's it works, however, it doesn't kill the process and will create a new one when you start the service back. I've tried running kill -9 against the PID's and no success.

I'm stuck with multiple hostd process' and no connectivity to VC. I have about 12 running VM's on this server and they are all running. I really do not want to reboot the server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert

I cant say I have seen this, but is sounds like you may be stuck and might have to bounce the ESX host Smiley Sad

If that is the case and the VMs are on shared storage, you could try connecting to the web interface of the host or connect with the VI Client directly, power off the VMs one by one and then use another host with access to the datastore to restart them as quickly as possible.

Then bounce the host.

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points
0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert

what are you seeing in /var/log/vmkwarning?

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Curdass,

Before you bounce it, remove it from the Virtual Centre (Disconnect, then remove)

Now try re-add it.

If this fails, remove it again, stop the management services and go to /opt/vmware/uninstallers

you'll find 2 uninstallers - run these uninstallers.

Restart the services, then try reconnect it to the VC again (it will reinatll the uninstalled services)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos