VMware Cloud Community
MBordelon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving virtual machines from one control station to another

We currently have and ESX server running version 4. We are going to be getting 3-4 physical servers which are using ESX version 3.5 each housing 15 or so virtual servers. The control station that controls these new virtual machines is not going to be moved along with the rest of the equipment. We will need to add these servers to our current vSphere 4 environment. Is this possible? If so, what are the steps needed to accomplish this? Is there documentation that someone can point me to which would explain how to accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you are in the Hosts and Clusters View? This is where you need to be to "add host".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you say control station are you referring to virtual center? Do have vCenter in your vSphere environment? If you do have a vCenter 4 server you can manage these ESX 3.5 hosts with that vCenter server with out a problem -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

As long as he can point the vCenter Server to the license server used for the VI3 (ESX 3.5) environment. At least until all the older hosts have been updated/upgraded to run ESX 4...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
MBordelon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attached is a screen shot of what I see when i click help,about. I say control station because that's what the people we are getting the additional servers called it.The correct name is probably Vcenter or Vsphere. Once these servers are connected to our network, how would I add them to our existing Vcenter?

0 Kudos
esexon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey,

if you have vcenter installed you need to right click your datacenter and click Add host to bring your other hosts into the VCenter.

Evan

MBordelon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I right click on the data center, add host is greyed out. Is there a service or something else that needs to be stopped in order to add hosts?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you are in the Hosts and Clusters View? This is where you need to be to "add host".

0 Kudos
MBordelon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for all of the helpe here. After reading the replies here I was able to create VM's on both hosts and move the hosts from one data center to another with no problems. Of course this was all done in a test lab. The real fun comes Memorial Day weekend.

0 Kudos