VMware Cloud Community
bghanson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Moving guests between hosts without vMotion

I am not sure if this should go in the ESXi 6.0 or ESX 4.0 groups,  I have two server running VMware.  One is running VMware 4.1.0 standard and the other is running VMware 6.0.0 standard.  I need to move the guest from the server running 4.1.0 to the server running 6.0.0. I cannot connect the older server to my vCenter server as it no longer supports the older version of VMware.  My question is what is the best way to move the guests form the older server to the newer server.  Since vMotion will not work.  The VM guests are all stored on shared storage an EqualLogic SAN.  Do I need to power them off remove them from inventory on the old server, then add them to inventory on the new server and power them back up?  The other option is to use the standalone converter.  Which would be the better option?  Will the converter move them while powered on or do I need to power them off to use that method also?  Is there another way to move them while powered on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jpsider
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For Converter, you will need to power them off.  If both vCenter's/hosts have the same shared storage mapped, I would just remove from inventory and re-register the powered off vm to the new host.  That will be the quickest way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jpsider
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For Converter, you will need to power them off.  If both vCenter's/hosts have the same shared storage mapped, I would just remove from inventory and re-register the powered off vm to the new host.  That will be the quickest way.

0 Kudos
jpsider
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The only way I can think to move them in a powered on manner would require some additional work.

Create a 5.5 vCenter add the 4.1 host and a 6.0 host and vmotion the vm. Then add the 6.0 host back to your proper vCenter.

0 Kudos
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I doubt if 6.0 host can be connected to 5.5 vCenter. There could be incompatibility and it may not allow you to add 6.0 host.

The best possible solution looks to the one originally suggested. Unregister from one host and register on 6.0 host. It requires power off.

In case if you come across any better solution, please post it here

0 Kudos