VMware Cloud Community
Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Moving a VM which have a mapped raw lun on SAN

Dear All,

I need advise from experts for this case. I have a VM on a host with esxi 4.0 but due to many VM's same host we are having problem of memory and have decided to move this VM to another host with less VM's and less resource utilization.

I will schedule 1 hr down time to do this task, this VM have two drives one a windows partition and second 20GB as mapped raw lun on SAN. So when moving it to another host, what I will do is shutoff the VM, go to other host and from storage go to VM folder and add the VM.vmx file to add it to inventory of new host. How about the case of mapped raw LUN, how to take care of it.

please advise, it is bit urgent.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm assuming that there is no vCenter at play here and you have no option to vMotion? For the RDM, I would shutdown the VM, detach the RDM LUN, migrate the VM, and re-attach the RDM.  As long as both hosts can see the SAN/RDM you should be good with this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm assuming that there is no vCenter at play here and you have no option to vMotion? For the RDM, I would shutdown the VM, detach the RDM LUN, migrate the VM, and re-attach the RDM.  As long as both hosts can see the SAN/RDM you should be good with this.

0 Kudos
Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, you are right, there is no vCenter in place presently. I understand you now, need to detach RDM LUN and attach back again before powering it back on the new host. Offcourse you are right both hosts need to see the SAN/RDM.

many thanks,

0 Kudos
Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How I can mark a answer as 'correct' answer and close the question so that others can take help from it?

thanks,

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can click the Correct Answer and Helpful Answer to mark questions as such. There is no real "close" option in these communities, a Correct Answer is as close as it gets.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos