VMware Cloud Community
tandrist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving Virtual server datastores to one location

I have a virtual with datastores on three different drives. Two parts are on the local server drives, some stuff is located on an attached San. The two local disks are giving me low disk space warnings as well.

I would like to move all ascpects of this virtual over to the SAN storage location, which has plenty space. I was told that you could use Vcenter, Right click on the virtual, choose " Migrate" /change datastore to do this? But I am confused when I get to the "select datastore" option window. Do you choose the datastore you want it to migrate to at this window? Will it move all data involved with this virtual to the datastore I choose here, regardless of what previous locations this virtual as data on?

I was also told that you can't vmotion virtuals when parts of them are on "local" disks, is this true?

Thanks in Advance!

TAndrist

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It is true you can not vmotion a virtual machine uses local storage but what we are talking about here is storage vmotion or svmotion which allows you to move storage while the virtual machine is running even from local storage - when you are asked which storage this is the sotrage you want to move you VM to and it should be on the SAN -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

I was told that you could use Vcenter, Right click on the virtual, choose " Migrate" /change datastore to do this? But I am confused when I get to the "select datastore" option window. Do you choose the datastore you want it to migrate to at this window?

Yes, click the Advanced button at this screen.

Will it move all data involved with this virtual to the datastore I choose here, regardless of what previous locations this virtual as data on?

It will move them wherever you instruct it to, from the advanced screen.

I was also told that you can't vmotion virtuals when parts of them are on "local" disks, is this true?

You won't have any problems here with moving the disks via Storage VMotion (SVMotion). VMotion would not be possible with the local disk.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos