VMware Cloud Community
mattd0221
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving VMDK Virtual Disk to different folder

Hello,

Before I started my new job we were experience some issues with our file server, Server22, with CPU usage. The IT consulting company that set it up suggested it was something with the windows install, so they created a new VM named Server22 which was just the C drive and attached the Data drive from the old Server22 to the new one. In doing our data virtual disk is still residing in the Old Server22 file. I'd like to move it, but want to find the right proceedure for doing so. Is it as simple as right clicking and hitting "Move To" through the Data Store Browser? I've attached a screenshot of what I'm trying to do. I'd like to move Server22.vmdk from the Server22_1 folder to the NewServer22 folder.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, you cannot move the vmdk while the vm is powered on.  Here is a high level steps:

1. shutdown the VM
  2. detach the vmdk in question.
  3. move the vmdk to the desired folder.
  4. attach the vmdk again.
  5. power on the VM.

Once you have completed the move and happy with the results, you can rename the VM the C# and perform storage vmotion and everything should line correctly with the name.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, you cannot move the vmdk while the vm is powered on.  Here is a high level steps:

1. shutdown the VM
  2. detach the vmdk in question.
  3. move the vmdk to the desired folder.
  4. attach the vmdk again.
  5. power on the VM.

Once you have completed the move and happy with the results, you can rename the VM the C# and perform storage vmotion and everything should line correctly with the name.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
mattd0221
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, vfk.

The directions seem pretty straight forward. I'm assuming by "detach" you're referring to shutting down the vm, editing the settings of the new Server22 and hitting the Remove button on the hard disk?

0 Kudos
vuzzini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to add to vfk and reply to your question about detach,

You will have an option to Remove the hard disk from the VM. Select "Remove from virtual machine" while removing the hard disk.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Sandeep Vuzzini Sr. DevOps Engineer
EmilioS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I also want to move or copy the .vmdk file and others to another disk.

I do not quite understand your advise.

How can one detach the vmdk file or vm in question?

Where can one do this?

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Emilios,

Can you provide some more information on what you are trying accomplish?

Do you want to move a vmdk from one vm to another vm?  Or do you just want to move it another a datastore?

continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Is it as simple as right clicking and hitting "Move To" through the Data Store Browser?
I consider using datastorebrowser to move vmdks across datastores as a potential risky operation - to move VMDKs across datastores manually I recommend vmkfstools -i.
Advantage: full control - you get what you oder.
If it fails n the middle you just wasted time and can kill the process without risk.
If a Datastorebrowser operation fails in the middle the outcome becomes unpredictable.

0 Kudos
EmilioS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

The cause appeared to be a faulty WD RED HDD.

It was impossible to move or copy the 40 GB .vmdk file to somewhere else; it caused a redundancy error.

I could enter the VM and move all the content to the normal OS.

I had to reinstall the W7 again and the software that was running under it, mainly software from Kodak for a scanner that is not supported under W10.

So the problem is solved by a replacement (warranty) disk of my WD RED HDD.

Thanks anyway for reaching out to me for help.

Regards,

Emilio

0 Kudos