VMware Cloud Community
Whaler
Contributor
Contributor

Moving VM to a remote server

We have to move some VM's from a local ESXi 4.1 server to a ESX (presumably 4.x) at remote site.  Please excuse the dumb question, but....

I'm thinking I turn off the VM's, copy their folders from the Datastore to a USB Drive.  At the remote site, they create new VM's but point to the folders they've taken off the USB Drive.  Is it any more complicated than that?

Also, I read where USB Drives are not supported on the ESX server.  I'm not trying to use the external USB drive on a VM, but is there any problem accessing it from the console and copying the folders to it?  At one point we had an ugly problem when someone plugged a USB drive into an ESX system, VMware tried to use it for local storage, and it got very messy (would not boot until VMware Support helped out).  I'll gzip and sftp the folders to another machine if I have to.

Thanks....Lyle

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community -

I'm thinking I turn off the VM's, copy their folders from the Datastore to a USB Drive.  At the remote site, they create new VM's but point to the folders they've taken off the USB Drive.  Is it any more complicated than that?

If you are copying the entire folder you would not have to create a new VM - once the folders are copied to the new environment you can add the VM to the inventory by browsing to the new folder -

Also, I read where USB Drives are not supported on the ESX server.  I'm not trying to use the external USB drive on a VM, but is there any problem accessing it from the console and copying the folders to it?  At one point we had an ugly problem when someone plugged a USB drive into an ESX system, VMware tried to use it for local storage, and it got very messy (would not boot until VMware Support helped out).  I'll gzip and sftp the folders to another machine if I have to.

Easiest way would be to export the VM as an OVF and then at the remote site import the VM to the new environment - this way you can attach the USB drive to your workstation and export the OVF directly to the USB drive -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful