VMware Cloud Community
efectorUS
Contributor
Contributor

Moving VM's using OVF tool between STANDALONE ESXi Hosts (NO vCenter)

Hello all.......

I am re-posting things because maybe I was not clear on the issue.......

Some of VMware's documentation reads like stereo instructions, and is confusing. I am wanting to copy some VM's(in their entirety, including configuration/network, etc), from one standalone ESX host to a second ESX host.

ESX1 holds the current VMs, and ESX2 is the destination. However, once everything is copied over, I am going to rename ESX2 to be ESX1, then take the original ESX1 off-line.

Can anyone help me with how to do this exactly? I've read the OVF tool instructions, but I do not see a "all" copy process which will move everything(including the configs) from one server to another. Everything I've read says to do it from the command line with the OVF tool. However, why can I not browse the datastore, and copy the folders down, then move them to the new server? (since the server will be renamed to be the same as the original, once it is off line).

Also, I was not looking to use any intermediate process such as running standalone converter just to put the VM's back......is it not possible to MOVE the vm's like when you are upgrading a physical host?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Why not simply copy the whole vm-directory to the new host?

You will have to recreate the virtual switches and port-groups.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos