VMware Cloud Community
thaifusion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving Hardware Version 7 VMs from VMWare Server 2.0.2 to ESXi 5

Hi everyone,

In the process of retiring 2 vmware server hosts.  They are running Server 2008 64 with VMWare server 2.0.2.  Each host has 3 Windows VMs, 6 in total, all configured with Hardware Version 7

The plan is to setup a new Host running ESXi 5.  Install, configure, and prepare it for deployment.  After setting up the data stores, I want to migrate my VMs from the older 2 servers to the new ESXi 5 box.

I am going to copy all the VMs from the old servers to individual folders on my Windows 7 desktop and use the vSphere client to upload the VMs to the new data stores.

I have read that ESXi 5 can read Version 7 VMs.  Does this mean that I can just use the VM as is, or do I still need convert the .vmdk?  Should I convert them before uploading them?  I'm a little gray in this area...

Can someone more experienced please let me know the step by step...or a link to a good "how to" I would really appreciate it. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's nothing to for you. VMware Converter takes care of this. It will not only increase the disk size but also the partition size.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

ESXi does not support sparse and/or 2GB split .vmdk file formats. You will either have to convert them to flat disks before uploading (vmware-vdikmanager) or after uploading (vmkfstools) if you want to go the "upload" way. An easier way would be to use VMware Converter to do a V2V conversion to the ESXi host.

André.

thaifusion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André

Thank you for sharing your famous wisdom with me.  I spent a few hours reading up on your suggestion. 

Found this site: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/vmware-converter.html and then also downloaded https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/converter_pubs.html and put it onto one of my older VMWARE Server 2 hosts.  I don't have the hardware for my ESXi host yet so I can't select the destination yet to complete a conversion. I should have the new server this week so I can start to practice.

I will certainly make a copy of my VMs and test convert and run them on my new host before taking my original servers offline. 

You were right about one thing, the 2GB splits, I have a lot of them... will the converter automatically merge together? 

I also have mulitple VHD for each VM, like an OS drive and a Data drive for each VM.  Pointing at the .vmx file, will it automatically grab all the necesary data from the various VHDs?  I notice that there is only one .vmx file so it seems that it will use the data in the .vmx file to find the two VHDs

Thank you very much

PS- any best practices you would suggest?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sorry that I forgot to add the links, but I see you found the correct ones anyway.

vCenter Converter will do everything that's needed to make the VM work on ESXi. It will create a supported disk (.vmdk) format and will also provide an option to resize the virtual disks if needed. You ar correct, vCenter Converter will convert the VM based on its configuration (.vmx), so each associated virtual disk will be converted.

PS- any best practices you would suggest?

Not really a best practice, but more some hints.

André

thaifusion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glad to know I'm going in the right direction with my research. Smiley Happy

Thank you for the link, that wil surely save my time.  My network is a small business so I don't have to worry about anyone sniffing when we close the office down or even when everyone is here.  So I wil be sure to go the fastest route possible.

I will want to increase the size of a few my VHDs as our File Server only has about 15% left.  Do you have any good links on how to increase the size of windows disks located on VHDs.  I know I will be able to increase the size of the VHD while converting it... as even you have mentioned.  But then once I boot up the VM, I'm wondering what the process will be inside the VM. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's nothing to for you. VMware Converter takes care of this. It will not only increase the disk size but also the partition size.

André

0 Kudos
thaifusion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's really amazing... great news.  Guess i'm old school and over thinking things that have been made simple for us!

0 Kudos
thaifusion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just a note to say that all the conversions went super smooth, all my VMs are running great.  Thanks for the help

0 Kudos