ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Moving Environemnt to New Windows Domain

Posted Jul 13, 2010 05:32 PM

We are in the process of moving our environment to a new Windows Domain. Of course this is a rolling change so some servers/clients will be moved while for a time others will stay. I'm looking for advice on when I should be changing VMware hosts over to the new domain as well as Virtual Center. Do I need to have all Guest OS's moved into the new Domain before I move the VMware hosts and virtual center? I know it's more of a DNS issue than domain issue....the new domain is using different IP addresses for DNS than the old.

• 2.  RE: Moving Environemnt to New Windows Domain
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 13, 2010 05:41 PM

You could simply set up a DNS zone in the new domain that either forwards to the old domain's DNS servers, or create records for the esx hosts in the new DNS domain prior to migrating them?

The guests will work independantly of the host servers as long as they can see the correct domain / DNS servers, so you should be able to do them as and when you require.

Regards,

Scott

• 3.  RE: Moving Environemnt to New Windows Domain

Posted Jul 15, 2010 05:29 PM

Eventually everything will move to this new domain...so I have to move them sooner or later. Is this a change I can make through the VI client under DNS and routing or do I have to SSH into the host box and make the changes there? The IP's will stay the same.

• 4.  RE: Moving Environemnt to New Windows Domain

Posted Jul 15, 2010 05:33 PM

Just use the VI client to change the DNS settings to point to your new servers, you should also change the hostnames there as well.

Dont forget to add static DNS entries in your new windows servers for the ESX hosts

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful