VMware Cloud Community
rg2012
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Moving ESXi 4 Host to Gigabit Port

Hello,

We are running ESXi 4. I'd like to move the physical interface connection to a gigabit port from a fast ethernet port. Does anyone see any problems with just pulling the cable and patching it in to the new gigabit switch? Anything I need to be concerned about with this move?

Thanks,

Rod

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If it's a single uplink, you actually interrupt network traffic from/to the host and the VMs for a short time. If this is acceptable for you then it's ok.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If it's a single uplink, you actually interrupt network traffic from/to the host and the VMs for a short time. If this is acceptable for you then it's ok.

André

0 Kudos
rg2012
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. Will the host and guests recognize the new interface speed automatically?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Guest are connected to the virtual switch(es), so they do not directly need to detect the change. Assuming the ESXi host's network port as well as the physical switch port are configured for "Autosensing" and you are using an appropriate network cable, you should not have any issues.

One additional note. If you are going to connect the host to a managed switch, there might be some options - besides speed and duplex - you need to configuere, like the access mode, spanning-tree, VLAN tagging, ...

André

rg2012
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos