VMware Cloud Community
gavinr98
Contributor
Contributor

Move virtual disk location

Hello,

I have a question regarding moving the location of a virtual drive. First of all is this recommended before I even go any further? Here is the situation. I have 9 VM's on 3 separate Hosts, running on an Intel Modular Server with 14 Seagate® Savvio® 10K.3 6-Gb/s 300-GB Hard Drives. This infrastructure had to be re-built as is was not configured correctly. All the VM's have been moved to another server host for now until the Intel unit is configured correctly. My question is; I have an Exchange Server that has 3 VD configured and I want to separate the 3 drives into different datastores as each datastore is configured with a different RAID config. The first DS is RAID 1 for all the OS's the second DS is RAID 10 for the Exchange DB and the 3rd is RAID 5 for the data. Question is how can I change the DS location if the drives have already been created and/or should it be done this way or should I have all 3 drives on the same datastore?

Thanks for any help with this.

Gavin...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, that makes sense.

If you have a SVMotion license you can move each virtual disk independently between each datasore. And you can do that while the guest is online.

If you do not have a SVMotion license you can use the scp or mv command or the datastore browser to move a virtual disk while the guest is offline (remember that it consists out of several files) to a different place. Re-add it after doing so in the hardware edit dialog of the guest. Choose to add an existing disk and browse to the .vmdk file.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

To add another solution - if you have vcenter you can cold migrate the VM - you simply keep the VM on the server it is on and you will be given the option to change storage -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
gavinr98
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I will give these options a try. I do have another question, are there any known issues adding in a RAID10 VD as a new datastore? I get an error when I try add RAID10, if I reformat the VD with RAID5 it works. The size of the RAID10 is only 500GB.

Thanks,

Gavin...

0 Kudos
PaulSvirin
Expert
Expert

RAID 10 should be run on supported controllers.

Here you can check whether yours is supported:

---

iSCSI SAN software

--- iSCSI SAN software http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos