VMware Cloud Community
dfgdgdgd
Contributor
Contributor

Move to new SAS

Hi At all,

i'm using esxi 6.5 on ibm x3650 m4,

i have 3 sas 146gb and now i will replace all with only 1 SAS 900gb Seagate, i'm  new so i don't know the best way to move all ESXI to new SAS (remove 3 sas 146gb and add 1 sas 900gb), i will run raid but later,

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is this single ESXi host and not managed by vCenter ?. Does hypervisor installed on a separate drive ?. Put the new disk as a separate datastore, shutdown the VM. move to new datastore.

Then delete the datastore, and remove the disks from the server.

dfgdgdgd
Contributor
Contributor

First thanks your quick reply.

-Yes it not managed by vCenter,

- Does hypervisor installed on a separate drive ? sorry i don't know what you mean, my new sas is new i mean i just buy it.

any command or any notice to prevent loss data ? or at the moment with 3 sas,i add my new sas and it will show a new datastore

Thanks

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Usually for a single ESXi server, I would prefer to install the Hypervisor OS on a separate flash drive ( USB pen drive ), and allocate all SAS space into datastore.

So you are replacing all the 3 drives by 1 drive. I assume you already has 3 datastore. Create a new data store on the new drive. After shutdown the respective vm, you can move the vmdk directory contents into new datastore, by right clicking the vm.

dfgdgdgd
Contributor
Contributor

NO, now it still 1 datastore with 400 GB.

so now i will add my new sas, create new datastore and move all vm to it, next step i will install esxi on usb, use it and just register my vm right ?

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, correct. Has to do add inventory for all vms.

dfgdgdgd
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Sir.

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You are welcome. If you think, my answer solves your querry, mark as best answer.

0 Kudos