VMware Cloud Community
gymiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move a VM

How do you move a VM from one esxi server to another? I have 2 esxi 5 servers that are managed by vserverplus.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think for the sake of this thread, which could get very long, if we are trying to explain vMotion to you, you may want to simply power down the guest.  Once the guest is powered down, right click on the guest and choose "migrate".  Follow the prompts to "change host"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you have vCenter you can cold migrate (powered off) the VM from the source ESXi Host to the Destination ESXi Host.  If you have shared storage between the two, and vMotion is configured in your environment you can use vMotion.

If you don't have vCenter, then the best way would be to use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0

0 Kudos
gymiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have the vcenter trial installed right now. How do i use vmotion. i cannot find it.

0 Kudos
psplnalin123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the storage(datastore) visible to both the ESXi then remove VM from the Inventory by right click --> remove from inventory and go the second host and browse the datastore --> go the VM folder --> right click the .vmx file and add to the inventory

If there Storage are not visible to both ESXi then installed the vCenter evaluation version then power off the VM and migrate the VM from one host to other

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

first, do yo have shared storage?  This is a requirement for vMotion. 

Below is good whitepaper on the vMotion technology

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmotion-perf-vsphere5.pdf

MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You need create a new port group in your vswitch with vmkernel port and select Vmotion on each hosts and put a IP of same range, drag and drop one vm to test or right click in your VM and select migrate.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
gymiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have both esxi servers on the same network. so if by shared storage you mean can both datastores see each other then yes. If by shared storage you mean an actual HDD, or something for backups, then no i have not yet gotten that far.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think for the sake of this thread, which could get very long, if we are trying to explain vMotion to you, you may want to simply power down the guest.  Once the guest is powered down, right click on the guest and choose "migrate".  Follow the prompts to "change host"

0 Kudos
gymiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats what i wanted to know thanks

0 Kudos