VMware Cloud Community
EgebergGjelstru
Contributor
Contributor

Move a RAID contoller and disk from one ESXi host to another - will it work ?

Hi

Here is my problem I'm running ESXi on an older hp server with a 3Ware SATA RAID controller with aprox. 2,5 TB of data, I'm looking to move to a newer hp server and  would like to move the controler and disks to the new server. I realize that I need to install the driver etc. but would it be possible to move DAS to another host ?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ABDJBR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi ,

does your new server have enough storage , or you plane to move DISKs to it instead ??

cause in my experience , if you just move the DAS contrlr and configure the RAID on the new server , your OLD DISKs will be overwritten and your data will be lost (that's of course assuming you are configuring a RAID Array on the new server ) .

0 Kudos
EgebergGjelstru
Contributor
Contributor

.... moving the controller and the drives will maintain the arrays - the question is: Will the new ESXi host see the datastore from the old server ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

A VMFS datastore is nothing magic, it's just a partition with type "FB", so the new host should recognize the datastore(s) on the "old" array without issues.

I assume you don't have a datastore with multiple extents though!? I'm not sure whether this will work.

André

EgebergGjelstru
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks André - I'll try this and post the result here.

0 Kudos
EgebergGjelstru
Contributor
Contributor

Hi -sorry about the late answer.

I moved the controler and disks to the new server and installed ESXi on an USB drive. Everything worked and the datastore was detected automaticly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos