ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Move VM from disconnected host to VC

Posted Dec 13, 2012 06:11 PM

I have an ESXi mixed cluster 4.1 and 5.0U1 with HA enabled.  An ESXi 5 host became disconnected due to a storage issue,  and an HA event started to failover a couple of the VMs this was unsuccessful I think because the host came back up.  Now  I cannot connect to the host with the vi client or powercli. I removed it from the VC inventory in order to try and get it working.  All of the vms that are currently on the machine are running but I need to reboot the host.  2 of these vms are part of a redundant failover solution  I would like to power them off and add them to the VC inventory using their VMX file so they come up quickly instead of being down during the entire host reboot.  I don't think HA will do this for me so I plan on manual add to VC but then what happens when the host that has these 2 vms (or had them) boots back up and is rejoined to VC?

• 2.  RE: Move VM from disconnected host to VC

Posted Dec 13, 2012 06:18 PM

I can't tell you for sure what will happen, but I think vCenter Server has enough intelligence to detect the duplicate names. Anyway, what you may want to do is to remove the VM's from the host's inventory before you rejoin it to the vCenter server.

André

• 3.  RE: Move VM from disconnected host to VC

Posted Dec 13, 2012 06:59 PM

I will try that and see what the results are .  I am working to not have to worry about it.

THank you for the quick reply.

• 4.  RE: Move VM from disconnected host to VC

Posted Dec 13, 2012 06:59 PM

It will append a (1) to the file name of the VM, so the original VM would be VMNAME, and the new one will become VMNAME(1).  that's all that will happen.

• 5.  RE: Move VM from disconnected host to VC

Posted Dec 14, 2012 12:29 PM

Thank you for the replies,  I was able to work around the need to do this the hard way.  I ended up just taking down all the vms on this host and restarting it.