VMware Cloud Community
kaa7820
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse stopped working on guest vm

Hello all I am a student new to virtualization I have a ProLiant physical server with windows server 2019 installed. I had issues with the mouse during the installation. After doing some online investigations, I learnt that installing guest addition could fix the issue. I did install the guest addition successfully but doing so prevents me from using the mouse completely on the windows server guest virtual machine. Can someone help me guide me towards a solution? Appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you sure you are correct here? "guest addition" sounds like something from virtualbox ...

So do you have VMware vSphere (ESXi) installed and Windows Server 2019 as a virtual machine? In that case you should install VMware Tools in the VM.

If you have Windows as the bare metal OS and maybe VMware Workstation installed and the mouse is not working on a VM running on that, the answer would still be to install VMware Tools but you might want to ask around https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Desktop-Hypervisor/ct-p/16000-home if that doesn't help.

Now, if you have no VMware product installed, then the VMware communities are most likely not the best place and you should look for something product specific from the solution you are using (Hyper-V / VirtualBox etc.).

0 Kudos
kaa7820
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the correction I was wrong I meant to say VMware tools instead of guest addition. I did install VMware tools not  guest addition.

0 Kudos
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok, so you do have ESXi (what version?) installed and a vanilla Server 2019 (from "MSDN"?) and you installed VMware Tools (what version?) and at no point did you have any mouse? Not in the VMRC console / nor web console / nor via RDP? Do you see a mouse device in the VM?

0 Kudos
kaa7820
Contributor
Contributor

Old version 5.5.

0 Kudos
kaa7820
Contributor
Contributor

After the during and after the initial installation of windows server 2019, the mouse activity was lagging with double cursors  and as soon as the VMware tools gets install successfully, when I click on the guest vm nothing happens but I am able to use the mouse on the esxi host.

0 Kudos
vbondzio
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Server 2019 is far from being supported or tested on ESXi 5.5 ... What was the guest OS you selected, 2012? You might want to check the controllers that are attached by default to a 2012 VM ... USB 2.0 isn't one of them

If that doesn't fix it, spend your time on getting your host to 6.7, there are ways around unsupported CPUs and you can find drivers for most devices. And please, if you are going to ask questions about a product / version that's been out of support for 2.5 years, mention it.

0 Kudos
kaa7820
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your wonderful help I will follow your advice and instructions. I truly appreciate your time.

0 Kudos