VMware Cloud Community
beaux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mouse is not smooth in virtual machine

I read the "Mouse movement is not smooth in a hosted virtual machine" article.  it states:

To set the mouse mode:
  1. Go to Edit > Preferences.

2. Click the Input tab.

3. From the Optimize mouse for games dropdown menu, choose Always.

Where?!!?  I can not find 'Edit > Preferences'.  Can someone please tell me where the hell it is?!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottK74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

try to upgrade the graphics driver:

• Open “Device Manager” -> “Display Adapter
  • Right click on “Standard VGA Graphics Adapter” and select “Update Driver Software”
  • Click on “Browse my computer for driver software” and find the directory of “C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\wddm_video”
  • Once it is installed you will need to reboot

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am not sure what you are talking about but mouse problems usually are due to VMware tools not being installed and the graphics acceleration not beingg set properly.  Have you installed VMware tools in the VM? If you have have you set the Acceleration to High within the VM?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
beaux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I have the VMware tools installed and I adjusted the acceleration.  Where is the Edit > Prefernces located?  I can not find it in vSphere.  They didn't bother to tell anyone the location of the 'edit' button that contains the mouse gaming settings.

0 Kudos
CorporIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which OS are you running in your VM?

0 Kudos
beaux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Server 2008 R2.

0 Kudos
ScottK74
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

try to upgrade the graphics driver:

• Open “Device Manager” -> “Display Adapter
  • Right click on “Standard VGA Graphics Adapter” and select “Update Driver Software”
  • Click on “Browse my computer for driver software” and find the directory of “C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\wddm_video”
  • Once it is installed you will need to reboot
0 Kudos
beaux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fantastic!  That did it.  Thanks very much.  Now maybe you can check out my second problem...if you don't mind.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1731794#1731794

Thanks again.

0 Kudos