VMware Cloud Community
WebRaider
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse cursor pointer misaligned Win 8.1 and win 2008R2 in Exsi 5.5.0. upd1 ??

The cursor in my two VM's have, since the upgrade frpm 5.1 -> 5.5 started act strangely, Every mouse click has to be done e few centimeters above the actual Point to click at...

Have VMools installed.

Has anyone experienced the same problem, any solution?

/Tommy

13 Replies
dbodey
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Running 6.0.3 on Windows 8.1 with Windows 7 guest and VMtools installed. Is it normal to have three mouse devices listed in Device Manager - 1 x VMware Point Device and 2 x VMware USB Pointing Device?

0 Kudos
warring
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reinstall vmtools, see if that fixs your problem, make sure tools are also current.

VCP510-DCV
0 Kudos
dbodey
Contributor
Contributor

Have tried re-install the tools but still very erraticCapture.JPG

Is it correct to have 3 Pointing devices in the guest (Windows 7). I have a laptop with touchpad as well as a USB Logtiech Mouse (wireless)

0 Kudos
NjE
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem with VMWare 10.03 running on Windows 8.1 host and Windows 7.0 guest. This happens only if I connect an external screen. Running on laptop screen only, this is not an issue. I have reported this to Vmware, but unfortunatly my complimentary support deal is expired.

Njål Eide

WebRaider
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Not so much Comfort but then I atleast know I am not alone... My problem is still there....Havs started experimenting with Hyper-V 2012 Server Core instead since Nothing happens from VMware in this issue and the problem makes the VM:s almost not usable.  In my config I use a stationary PC and uses a Samsung TV as monitor...

0 Kudos
WebRaider
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice, but it does not work any better with or without,  updated, removed etc. Vmware tools.... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
WebRaider
Contributor
Contributor

Small update - It became slighly better in 5.5 upd 2 but is still almost intolerable -

but it works well with remote desktop towards the same VM:s... which I dont wat to use in this case... Smiley Sad

More information, the same problem occurs also with WIn 8.1 Pro VM.. Not only with the 2008 R2 std Server.

0 Kudos
bhanupratapk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

Can i know whether you are using custom ISO or Standard ISO.

Regards,

Pratap.

0 Kudos
NjE
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to share a solution that works for me. The problem started when I upgraded my host OS to WIndows 8, and only when I connect multiple monitors of different size. Seems like WIndows
8 and later tries to scale your display, so that even though you have physicaly different size monitors, it will scale your application windows to show them in same physical size on the different screens. This effect can be best observed when dragging a window from one screen to another. As soon as the majority of a window has entered the different sized monitor it will change size (either smaller or bigger depending which way you drag it). This stretching seems like is confusing Vmware and can be turned off in ControlPanel. My OS is in Norwegian, but if I translate it literally you can find this setting under the "Screen" panel and the setting to turn on is loosely translated "Let me choose one scaling level for all displays".

Try to see if that helps for you and report your experience here. It's disturbing to see that Vmware still has not fixed this bug. I reported it first time more than a year ago and already then others had reported it.

Njål

WebRaider
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pratap.

the .iso file installed is the standard EXSI 5.5 upd 2 (2068190)...

0 Kudos
WebRaider
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks NjE, You have (almost) solved it for me!!!

I could, by changing according to your recommendation and  by not setting the "text and items larger or smaller" in either VM or Client,  to something larger than 125% it seems to work for me (though I would like to have it on 150% as before... age, glasses. difficulty in reading to small text... ).

Your explanation is clearly a bug report very much worth to be be fixed from Vmware! This simple BUG costs lots and lots of irritation towards the Product.. had it been like this when i started using EXSI 5.1 - I would not have been  a user today...

Again - thanks alot! Hope they take a look at your bug report again

0 Kudos
NjE
Contributor
Contributor

Pleased to see that it helped you. This has been an incredibly annoying bug as it showed itself on some setups and not on others. I have lost countless hours on this at some  customer's sites. To be fair with VMware I did not understand what was causing it, how to reproduce it consistently  nor how to resolve it when I reported it. Anyway, it looks like VMware is monitoring this thread so hopefully they can look into it. Last time I submitted a bug report they showed no interest, only explained to me that my free support period was over.

Njål Eide

WebRaider
Contributor
Contributor

I now installed hypervisor client 6.0 update 3 on a new pc and connected to VMs and the bug is still there....  amazing!

0 Kudos