VMware Cloud Community
DCJeff
Contributor
Contributor

Mount Delta VMDK after Snapshot

Last week I took a snapshot of an ESXi VM Virtual Hard Drive.

Yesterday I removed that virtual hard drive (ending "VM-000002.vmdk") without commiting the changes made after last week's snapshot.

I am now trying to add the virtual hard drive back to this VM. I am able to successfully mount VM.vmdk, but that VMDK lacks all of the work done since the snapshot was taken last week. When I try to mount VM-000002.vmdk I receive this error message.

http://www.maartendamen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/vsphere_error.png

This is a major problem for me and I'd appreciate any/all support that can be provided.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Yesterday I removed that virtual hard drive (ending "VM-000002.vmdk")  without commiting the changes made after last week's snapshot

How exactly did you do that? And for how long did you run the VM from the base vmdk file?

The snapshot (delta) file only contains data blocks which were modified while the snapshot was active. The longer the VM ran from the base disk and the smaller the delta file, the higher is the chance of data corruption and possible data loss.

Please logon to the host's console, run an ls -lisa in the VM's folder and post the output. Also attach the small vmdk files (only a few hundred bytes) as well as the vmx file and the latest vmware.log file.

How much free disk space do you have on the datastore?

André

0 Kudos