VMware Cloud Community
robbiepiero
Contributor
Contributor

Mount Datastore Error

I have VMware ESXi version 5.0.0, my ESXi running in Server HP Proliant DL 180 GB (Memory 24GB, HDD 2TB + 2TB - RAID1[Mirroring]), my ESXi server contains 8 server (mail server, Active Directory, Spark, Core Banking, FTP, AntiVirus, WebServer, and Absent).

The Problem is last week i shutdown my server (enter maintenance mode and shutdown) and then yesterday i try to turn on my server again, i login with vsphere client and i see my status server (8 server) is "Unknown (Inaccessible)" so i try to look in configuration -> storage -> Right click datastore for unmount, when i want to mount again, error occurs.

The errors is

(Call "HostStorageSystem.

MountVmfsVolume" for object "storageSystem" on ESXi "192.168.2.245" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report: Sysinfo error on operation returned status : Not supported. Please see the VMkernel log for detailed error information")

Please advice ASAP because this is operasional server and i don't have a backup.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
SG1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

are you able to ping the ip addr? using vmkping

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

did you install any updates?

Any changes to the system?

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi

in your vmkernel.log file there are entrys like

2014-08-05T07:31:37.238Z cpu0:3359)WARNING: HBX: 1889: Failed to initialize VMFS3 distributed locking on volume 50ac4c52-6bbb6bdb-85bf-68b599b0d2c1: I/O error

2014-08-05T07:31:37.248Z cpu2:3359)FSS: 4333: No FS driver claimed device '50ac4c16-0eddd86d-bcba-68b599b0d2c1': Not supported

2014-08-05T07:31:37.248Z cpu2:3359)LVM: 12007: Failed to mount 50ac4c16-0eddd86d-bcba-68b599b0d2c1 (now umounting): Not supported

2014-08-05T07:36:19.737Z cpu2:33332)WARNING: UserObj: 675: Failed to crossdup fd 8, /dev/ptyp0 type CHAR: Busy

2014-08-05T07:36:19.737Z cpu2:33332)WARNING: UserObj: 675: Failed to crossdup fd 10, /dev/ptyp0 type CHAR: Busy

2014-08-05T07:36:19.738Z cpu2:33334)WARNING: UserLinux: 1340: unsupported: (void)

If you are able to open a support case, i guess it is the right time for that.

If not, maybe it is worth a try

Re: Suddenly a datastore is missing

I/O error when downloading vmdk from datastore

Use gdrescue

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
robbiepiero
Contributor
Contributor

i don't use separate storage but my storage included in ESXi server.

0 Kudos
robbiepiero
Contributor
Contributor

@Frank : i never update and make any changes...

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Are you able to open a support case?

If not, try to use the options that i mentioned.

Maybe some other members know more about how to resolve your issue, but i don´t.

Frank

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

If this is local stoage and you can't see the Datastore I would boot up with HP's Array Configuration Utility(ACL) bootable ISO disk and check to make sure your array is working and in good health. It could also be a controller issue.

Link to offline HP ACL utillity

Drivers & software for HP ProLiant DL180 G6 Server - HP Support Center

0 Kudos
robbiepiero
Contributor
Contributor

@frank : i forgot to inform about my status hard drive, i used 2 hard drive which is configure as raid 1. our S.M.A.R.T bios detected status hard drive sata 1 is OK and status hard drive sata 2 is BAD......

if possible, my problem are caused of it ?

tomorrow i will try your suggestions (I/O error when downloading vmdk from datastore)

Thank you frank.......

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

maybe, It is worth a try. Boot up only with the one drive that is not showing up as damaged.

If you are using raid1, your data should be there.

Frank

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

If it is a raid 1 it should be booting even if one drive is bad, however unplugging the bad drive and trying to boot off the other is a good idea.

Are you sure it wasn't created as a stripe or raid0?

0 Kudos
RubyIvy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Did you check the below link:

Re: Can't mount datastore after reboot

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

from the logs you have posted there are two main errors:

WARNING: HBX: 1889: Failed to initialize VMFS3 distributed locking on volume 50ac4c52-6bbb6bdb-85bf-68b599b0d2c1: I/O error

FSS: 4333: No FS driver claimed device '50ac4c16-0eddd86d-bcba-68b599b0d2c1': Not supported

try these KB articles:

VMware KB:     Cannot remount a datastore after an unplanned permanent device loss (PDL)

VMware KB: VMFS datastores are not mounted after rebooting an ESXi 5.1 host

_________________________________________________________________________________________

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons)

Regards,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
vuzzini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The error Sysinfo error on operation returned status : Not supported. Please see the VMkernel log for detailed error information occurs if DRS generates a new set of resource settings for a given resource pool but vpxa is not able to apply them to the virtual machines. This can happen if the virtual machine is in a state where resource update is not allowed (for example, it is in the middle of a migration or a VCB backup). If this message occurs for an extended period of time, there is some issue with the hardware/storage.

As per your recent update I understand that your sata 2 hard drive is BAD, you might need to fix this to correct this issue.

--Sandeep

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Sandeep Vuzzini Sr. DevOps Engineer
0 Kudos
robbiepiero
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all... finally i used vmfs-tools, mount in Ubuntu and backup to another Hard Disk....

0 Kudos