VMware Cloud Community
semka189
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Motherboard compatibility.

Hello people.

I want to install EsXi 7.0.

I have a "cpu e5520"  processor and a "supermicro x8dt3" motherboard that supports 7.0 such computer specifications?

And is there a link where you can see esxi 7.0 compatibility with the processor and motherboard?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not only is your board not supported, but your CPU will not work with anything older than ESXi 6.5:

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
semka189
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

looking, but can not find my model.  I also enter in the search - there is no result ..

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then that means it's not supported.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not only is your board not supported, but your CPU will not work with anything older than ESXi 6.5:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
semka189
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help...

0 Kudos
alistairjb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi There,

I know this is an old post but the problem I'm having with that compatibility guide is that I've searched for 2 motherboards, both of which I am actively running ESXi on, and they don't come up in there.

So I'm utterly confused?

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think the trick is to realise that just because a motherboard (or any other component) is not in the compatibility guide does not mean that it won't actually work. Having something that appears in the guide is a good idea if you intend to rely on VMware for support though, otherwise you are on your own.

So if they are boards that you already own, then... why not just try it?

If you are looking to purchase a motherboard, then why not start at the guide and find a motherboard there before looking at retailers?

0 Kudos
alistairjb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the information! It's good to know that I can use a motherboard that's not in the compatibility guide. Obviously I'm currently using motherboards that aren't in there but I was worried that if I get a new one that's not listed, that it wouldn't work.

I am of course, as you suggested, looking here first, but it just seems like an overly confusing and difficult process. For example, I'm looking at a new Supermicro board that on Supermicro's OS compatibility matrix they list ESXi 7.0, but that board also doesn't come up in the VMWare search.

If I could ask you though, I searched for Supermicro motherboards compatible with any VMWare software, and there's only 1 result. Is there really only 1 board in the whole of SM's inventory that is supported by VMWare?

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would say that the HW compatibility guide is driven by inputs to VMware from manufacturers. So it may be that SuperMicro's updates to the VMware list are just delayed in appearing.

I have been through a similar process in trying to understand the support position of VMware and Dell for some particular combinations of Dell hardware, installed components, firmware and driver versions. So I know full well that there are inconsistencies and errors in there.

I think that if SuperMicro say the board is supported for vSphere 7 and they are willing to back that up with support if you need it, then that is what you really want.

If this is for home personal use, and you're unlikely to pay for support, then I suppose it may be pot-luck unless you can get the board on a sale or return basis to try it out first. 

0 Kudos